Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The National Library

A red-bricked building that is not ordinary
It exists no more on this precious city land
You are looking at the Singapore National Library
that gave up its ghost for a new plan
that materialised into a super modern building
14 storeys high, spacious and glam
In the sixties my parents took me there
and the first book I borrowed was Greek Mythology
Zeus and his gang on Mt Olympus
Hercules and the Golden fleece story
My love for books was sparked by these ancients
and a mum who knew the power that's in a library
Yesterday for the first time I took my mother
now in her late seventies and a frail old lady
to visit the new National Library that is like no other
Time reverses roles and I felt really happy
that I was finally able to return her favour

1 comment:

spicey pineapple said...

your such a good writter, kudos to you and your choice of pictures never ceases to amaze me, you are really talented. i love libraries, one day i hope to have my own little one for my use only